Saturday 12 February 2011

Fire-Lives, Album Miriam Jones

As a solo folk artist Miriam is a joy to listen to on her own, but here there is a host of talented collaborative musicians making up a band behind her songs. Fire-Lives is musically tight and well formed throughout, with catchy melodies, rich strings, and gorgeous vocal harmonies. Opener ‘Rhythm Out” sets the lyrical scene well with lines “I don’t need you, I’ll be fine, I’ve got my rhythm”. It’s a reflective, heart torn yet ultimately uplifting and optimistic album. “Helicopter” reminds me of Lamb with vocal sounding more towards Lou Rhodes. “Come Clean” is about honesty, “Wondrous, Mysterious” is about how commercial Christmas has become. “Bones” is a piano based ditty, who’s melody is wilting and ‘swaying like a misplaced satellite’. Each song has been well constructed and thought through, and Fire-Lives could have easily followed Alanis Morrissett’s ‘Jagged Little Pill’. I hope it goes a long way.
Trev Williams
published OMS 12

No comments:

Post a Comment